Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bye Bye Muang Thai!

In three hours we'll be well on our way to a week in Laos!

Most likely will not have internet while I'm there- will have the iPad with me just in case I find a wi-fi spot. I plan on keeping a journal so I can tell my 3 beautiful readers all about it when I get home (to Thailand.) :).

Yesterday was wild... Had our morning reflection/trip planning (Grant got into BKK last night) and Sarah, Torey and I headed for a day in the city "Sex in the City" style. Meaning, we did A LOT of shopping.

Now, the size of our purchases are not proportional to the amount of merch we saw. First we hit Platinum, a famous whole-sale mall of seven stories, and were promptly overwhelmed. 2,000+ stores. Most of the little stores do not allow you to try on clothes, and since we've already established that none of us are Thai-size, I do not need to depress you with the details of trying to find clothes. HOWEVER (glimmer of good luck #1), Sarah found a shop that sold really basic black skirts, and there was a cute little lady their who could measure us. Sarah and I can now officially go to work.

Spent a couple of hours there and on our way to Siam Paragon (the Somerset of BKK, remember from my first day in the city?) we found CentralWorld- another glam mall that had a Forever 21! (Glimmer of good luck #2) They had American sizes (awesome) but it was actually way more expensive than the Forev's at home. Shoot.

Glimmer of good luck #3- found a bookstore with English lit. HALLELUJAH. Picked up a Barbara Kingsolver and wanted to buy a magazine, but they were ridic expensive- around $14. Guess I'll be ok on the night train without any mind trash to consume me.

Hit Siam Paragon, found swimsuits (!!!) albeit in grossly misrepresented sizes, and saw The Fighter. Fantastic movie. Best part was enjoying it from plush leather seats that would rival your dad's lazy-boy. Weirdest part was standing for the national anthem before the movie played.

Also, went into a Thai version of a CVS at Siam Paragon, asked a dude in a labcoat for malaria pills and three weeks worth of doxycycline were given to me without questions. How legitimate. I'll be taking any drug requests next week. ;)

Central World

Siam Paragon

and Platinum all on the same block!

After... a while... the rest of the group joined us with Pi Nat, Pi Klong, and another friend we had met at Dr. Soparth's husband's funeral. They took us to THE COOLEST dance club. Except for one thing- there was no dance floor?! What the heck. It was just all these tiny tables and it was dark and crowded, but no dance floor. Also, cover was free for Thais, expensive for farang! How is that even allowed? Structured racism, I dare say! Anyways, it was totes worth. Awesome DJ's, awesome atmosphere, awesome friends.  Having Thai friends show you around is totally the way to go.

Also, would like to note that I've heard "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit" three times since I've been here (once being last night). I love this city. And I love hearing motown in the malls. Makes me feel like I come from an important place. PLUS, songs I've heard about New York?: a measly 1. (Jay Z).

We've also seen a bunch of people wearing hats with the Tiger's D on it, but whenever we say something to them they look at us like we are crazy. Same happens w/ UofM hats.

Today we spent sleeping in, pooling, and packing for the upcoming week. Some of the items on our itinerary include two nights in Vientiane, a stay at an ecolodge in a village (including a toilet made of a dirt hole, a bathtub made of a plastic bucket, and a mattress made of a wood floor, should be an adventure), exploring UXO land-mine-cleared land (Vietnam War really messed up Laos),  temples, museums AND A HANDICRAFT CENTER? Sounds like I might find some things for my 660 Spartan ladies...


Have a great week and I'll be in touch when we get home!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I was almost going to be in Laos next week too! But then decided to go to Vietnam and Cambodia instead..

So fun reading your blog and hearing about your time in Thailand. Enjoy Asia. I love it here :) Plus Bangkok is a great city to live in.

Have a great trip!